What Are The Penalties For Violating The Speed Limit?
For many people, the immediate consequence of a speeding ticket is the associated fine. In New York State, your fines will depend on how far over the speed limit you were going, but are also subject of a wide range of dollar amounts that is within the discretion of the judge. Excessive speeds can sometimes even lead to jail time.
Traffic Violations Will Cost You
First offenses for speeding are costly in fines as well as having points added to your driving record that can raise your insurance rates significantly.
- One to 10 mph over the speed limit for a first offense carries a fine of $45 to $150 as well as a mandatory surcharge of $93 and three points added to driving record.
- 11 to 20 mph over the speed limit for a first offense carries a fine of $90 to $300 plus the surcharge and four points. In some cases a judge can impose jail time as well for up to 15 days.
- 21 to 30 mph over the speed limit for a first offense carries a fine of $90 to $300 plus the surcharge and six points.
- 31 to 40 mph over the speed limit carries a fine of $180 to $600 plus the surcharge. Judges also have the power to impose jail time for up to 30 days and eight points.
- 40 mph and over carries fines up to $600 plus surcharges, possible jail time and 11 points added to your driving record.
Another charge, imprudent speed, which is defined as traveling unsafely for current conditions, can result in a fine of $45 to $150 plus the surcharge, as well as three points added to driving record.
It should be noted that jail time is quite rare for speeding cases. But it is not unheard of, particularly for very high speeds of more than 100 mph and/or repeat offenders. Most judges will notify the defendant if he/she is considering a jail sentence. If that is a possibility, it is very important that you hire a competent attorney who is experienced and familiar with the court where your case is being heard.
Contact The Turbo Team To Take Action Today
At Trbovich Law Firm, our lawyers staunchly defend drivers in Buffalo and throughout New York State. We are dedicated to minimizing the negative consequences associated with violations. Contact us via our intake form or at 716-222-2222 to get the aggressive representation you deserve.
“We serve clients throughout ALL of New York State!”
For representation, please text a picture of your violation with your first and last name to our office at 716-939-0888